Saturday, November 24, 2012


This I Believe

By Isobel Weiner 708

I believe in the power of believing. I remember when I was seven or so and I was really eager for my gifts on Christmas Eve, and I couldn’t wait for “Santa” to come and deliver them. I remember having a feeling of nervous excitement all morning waiting upon the arrival of Santa in his big red sleigh. It was about eleven o’clock when I finally heard footsteps on the roof of my house, and I assumed it was Santa, coming with his reindeer. I ran to my bed and hid under the covers because I truly thought I wouldn’t get any presents if I was awake. I fell asleep and woke up the next morning to the smell of fresh pine from the tree, and was pleased to see multiple gifts. I truly believed that some magical person from the North Pole had flown down to my house on his sleigh to give me presents on Christmas. I had made him cookies the night before, and even set out carrots for Rudolph and the rest of the reindeers. The point is, it doesn’t matter what you believe, but having a belief in something is a truly a happy and magical thing.           

Another time I believed was when I was six. I had just lost my front tooth in an alarmingly large puddle of blood, and I slipped it, blood and all, right under my pillow. I thought the tooth fairy was going to come and collect it in the middle of the night. I was a little worried as I went to sleep, because I wondered how the tiny little tooth fairy would be able to reach under my head for the tooth. But worries aside, I soon fell asleep. I woke up so many times that night, and was constantly checking under my pillow to see if my tooth had disappeared. The last time I checked, at about three in the morning, it was gone, and in its place was a one dollar bill. I was so happy right then, because for a moment I had thought the tooth fairy wasn’t coming, since my tooth was still under my pillow at midnight. Having that belief in a little fairy made me feel secure and cheerful. That is the power of a belief in something magical. It can transform an unhopeful person into a hopeful one. It can make a little girl be happy and imaginative. That is why I believe in the power of believing. A belief can keep you going through tough times; a belief can change someone’s life. I believe in believing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment