Sunday, January 20, 2013

READING RESPONSE: THE ONCE AND FUTURE KING


I  am very close to finishing The Once and Future King by T.H. White, and it has been an incredible story. I left off where Arthur had just become king of Camelot, he went into the courtyard of the town, and pulled the famous sword, Excalibur, out of the stone. He was the only man successful in pulling out the sword, and that accomplishment made him king off Camelot. He also just met the Lady Guinevere, and from my prior knowledge of the Medieval period, I know that the two of them will fall in love and Guinevere will be crowned Queen of Camelot. I am very excited to see how T.H White describes their wedding day.

I had predicted that Arthur would become a great leader, even when I was only in the beginning of the book when he was just a child. My prediction has come true, as Arthur is now King Arthur, of Camelot. The author has reinforces how Arthur will be the greatest leader Camelot has ever seen, he describes the perfect era in which Arthur will reign.

Arthur has changed so much throughout the book. When I first began reading, he was an ignorant child who fancied nothing more than to play with swords. His tutor, Merlin, who later became his trusted advisor in the royal court, educated him, and nurtured him into becoming a leader. The reader can truly notice how Arthur matures.

T.H. White is truly a magical storyteller. He takes the classic story of king Arthur and the sword in the stone and puts his own spin on it, creating a whole new and wonderful book.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Isobel!
    you put a lot of great detail in yourr blog. I found it very interesting.
    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete