Sunday, May 19, 2013

READING RESPONSE: THE GREAT GATSBY BY F.SCOTT FITZGERALD

Yesterday I went to see The Great Gatsby with my friend at the movies. I greatly enjoyed it and decided that I should read the book. I just bought it today, so I don't know much about the plot yet, but I will retell as much as I have discovered.

The story is told from the point of view of a man named Nick Carraway. Nick has come to live in long island for the Summer so he can be near his second cousin Daisy Buchanan and her husband Tom. He quickly becomes intrigued by his neighbor, a very wealthy man named Jay Gatsby. Mr. Gatsby often throws large extravagant parties with his surplus of money, and on one of these such occasions, Nick finds himself invited to the party. However, when he attends he realizes that none of the guests know who Gatsby is or have ever seen him before. Nick hears many rumors such as Gatsby was a prince who killed a man, but eventually he meets Gatsby, and he finds all these things to be untrue.

I predict that Nick will discover Gatsby's real identity, and where all his money comes from, as no one seems to know. I predict this because Nick and Gatsby are neighbors, and I think they will become close, and eventually Nick will uncover his secrets.

The author, F. Scott Fitzgerald is greatly talented. Although this book was written in the 1920's its moral is still applicable to the 21st century. So far I am greatly enjoying this book, and I can't wait to read more.

2 comments:

  1. I liked how you got a lot of info from the little you read, and you really made me want to read the book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the details and inferences you used from what you read good job.

    ReplyDelete