Saturday, June 8, 2013

READING RESPONSE: THE GIVER BY LOIS LOWRY

I have started to read 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry with my book club. The book focuses on the challenges faced by the protagonist, Jonas. Jonas is a twelve year old boy who lives in a perfect world where everyone's life is planned out for them. When Jonas undergoes the ceremony of twelve, which is when each child is assigned a role in the community, he is singled out to train with the receiver of memory, who he later calls the giver. The giver holds in his mind all the memories from the past, which he will give to Jonas, as he is becoming too old.

I predict that Jonas will develop a close relationship with the Giver, because judging by their first meeting, the giver is very keen to tell Jonas the truth about the past. As his first lesson, he gave Jonas the memory of snow, and Jonas decided to trust and respect the giver. I think this trust will increase with each meeting.

The author, Louis Lowry, is very talented. She writes very descriptive flashbacks to the past, such as when the giver is transmitting his memories to Jonas. I am highly enjoying this book, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you explain the important parts of the book so that even people who have not read the book understand. Good job!

    ReplyDelete