Sunday, March 17, 2013

'The Road Not Taken' by Robert Frost

"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost is a poem about making hard decisions and choosing a metaphorical path in life, not knowing where it could lead you. Frost compares choices to a fork in the road, describing how he was faced with choosing a path, and how later in life he is looking back at that moment, wondering if he made the right decision, or if he should have taken the other path. The author wants the reader to know that he had  to chose between two paths, which represent choices, and now he is contemplating whether or not he chose the right one.

In the first stanza of the poem, the speaker says "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both." This quote explains that there are two decisions to be made, but only one can be chosen. Another piece of textual evidence is when the speaker says "then took the other, as just as fair, and having perhaps the better claim, because it was grassy and wanted wear; though as for that the passing there had worn them really about the same." This describes the moment when the speaker choses one path, without knowing which way it leads, because both paths resemble each other. A final quote is "I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." This explains the last part of my claim where I said the speaker was contemplating whether he chose the right path. In this quote, the speaker is thinking back to the moment when he made the decision, and wondering if he chose the right
path. 

The author wants the reader to know that he had to chose between
two paths, which represent choices, and now he is thinking and 
questioning whether or not he chose the right one. This connects
to me personally because especially at this point in my life I
will have to make tough decisions, such as high schools and
eventually college.

1 comment:

  1. great job isobel, I like how you added the poem on the side in case the reader needed to refer to it during your poem. I also liked how you added so much detail. <3

    ReplyDelete