Wednesday, November 20, 2013


Cut and paste advertisements from a newspaper or magazine that make you react in a way that questions their motivation. Write about what you believe advertisers are trying to get you to think about.


“Peta”, a group working towards the ethical treatment of animals, presented this advertisement on multiple billboards. Normally, I agree with Peta’s arguments, as I am almost fully vegetarian myself, but when I saw this advertisement, I was shocked. I believe this advertisement was aimed to encourage people to become vegetarian by including a picture of a slightly chubby woman, as if to say that meat makes you gain large amounts of weight. Meat does in fact add to your weight, but only when multiple portions are consumed over a long period of time. This advertisement was urging women to become vegetarian to lose weight, which is a horrible incentive that will just make women feel more insecure about their bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment