Wednesday, December 4, 2013


READING RESPONSE: THE PRINTER'S DEVIL BY PAUL BAJORIA

Currently, I am reading Paul Bajoria's "The Printer's Devil". This story takes place in Victorian England with a young orphan boy named Mog Winters. He embarks on a mystery involved with a ship's cargo, a murderer, and all the criminals in London. An important part in the book is when the main character Mog, discovers thieves stealing treasure and pursues them, only for them to kidnap him, which puts him on the trail of the mystery. This shows that Mog is an adventurous, curious, and daring character.

I admire his impulsiveness and how he relies on his instincts.I predict that with his now extensive knowledge of the mystery, he will be faced with many tricky and dangerous situations, and will meet another character to aid him on his mission. I can relate to Mog and his constant yearn for adventure. 

He also reminds me of another character, in the book "The Ruby in the Smoke" by Phillip Pullman. This book also takes place in victorian England, but with a spunky female lead who gets caught up in a mystery as well. 

Paul Bajoria uses many adjectives and descriptive actions in his book, which allows the story to become more exciting and suspenseful. I believe the author wants the readers to think about the experiences and joys of childhood, just like what Mog is going through in the story.

I often ask myself questions about Mog's recklessness and why he listens to his heart and not to his mind, but in the end I realize it is because he is still young and is trying to live his life to it's full potential. Throughout the story, after going through countless dangers, Mog becomes older and wiser, and his wisdom often comes from past experiences. This book is very touching but still tough and action filled, and I am enjoying it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment