Wednesday, December 18, 2013


READING RESPONSE: RUNNING ON THE CRACKS BY JULIA DONALDSON

I have finished 'Life of Pi' by Yaan Martel, and I have begun 'Running on the Cracks' by Julia Donaldson, and it appeared very interesting. In the first few chapters I've read, I can gather that the main character is called Leo, and she has run away from her family. I'm still not sure why she ran away, but I assume I will learn soon. Finlay, a paper boy, comes across Leo when reading a section in the news labeled 'Missing Persons', and is determined to help her. At first, Leo was wary of him, and what his true intentions were, but now she trusts him. Finlay and Leo have already gone on many adventures, trying to avoid the police looking for Leo.

The inquiry question I chose for this book is 'Whose perspective is missing in this text? What would it be like if we put it back?' This book is mainly the perspective of the main character, Leo, although some chapters feature her sexually abusive uncle. The perspective missing is that of Leo's cousins, who bullied her, which is also another reason of why she ran away. I think it would be interesting to include these opinions, as it would show their reactions and whether or not they show remorse for driving Leo away.

I predict that Leo will be caught by the police or someone aware that she is a runaway. She has already had many close encounters and had to hide out at Finlay's house for a couple days. Leo probably won't last much longer without someone noticing her. I wonder how her family will react.

The author, Julia Donaldson, is a particularly interesting writer. This is her first young adult book, as she used to write children's books. Her most popular books are 'The Gruffalo' and 'The Gruffalo's child'. She also writes the book in different perspectives, such as the protagonist Leo, her sidekick Finlay,one of Finlay's relatives, Kim, and Leo's uncle.

So far, this book has been an amazing read, considering it is her first young adult book. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment